Saturday 24 May 2014

Review: Saga Volume 1 By Brian K Vaughan

The Premise: The story follows two individuals Markos and Alana who come from opposite sides in an on-going war who have fallen in love and have a child together. They are both on the run and the beginning of the story begins with the birth of their child. They are attempting to find a place that they can call home away from the war and a place to raise their child. Typical questions arise such as what should the child be named, what traditions it should follow. While this is going on, there are people who are out looking for both Markos and Alana, and some who even want the child captured and unharmed. There are many narratives going on at once, and along all the different perspectives is the small voice of Markos and Alana's child.

My Overall Thoughts and Review: I have been seeing this graphic novel series pop up more frequently on goodreads and on the book blogging world, so I decided to pick it up. I don't read a lot of graphic novels, so my experience is limited. But I really enjoyed this one. The premise sounds normal enough, but it does take place in an alternate universe and with many creatures that are super strange yet also intriguing. Alana has wings and Markos has horns.. and then there are also creatures who have screens as heads and a lying cat (I LOVE THAT!). The first volume was really well-done and it was not confusing to follow at all, even with all the many narratives going on, from Alana and Markos'.. to the bounty hunters after them etc etc. The artwork is beautiful by the way, just stunning. It is really fast paced and all the characters are so complex, that even the ones after the main protagonists, you cannot help but like a little. I really enjoyed it, and it reminded me of a Joss Whedon Firefly universe, but with more crazy creatures. I can't wait to pick up the next two volumes and read them.

Rating of the graphic novel: 4/5 stars. (I am still debating my rating, because I am not sure.. I am leaning more towards 4.5 though)

Have you read Saga Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughan? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment