Wednesday 28 May 2014

First Sentences | Top 5 Wednesday

1. Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." (page 7) 

2. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." (page 11) 

3. Vicious by V.E. Schwab 

"Victor readjusted the shovels on his shoulder and stepped gingerly over an old, half-sunken grave." (page 11)  

4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo Lee Ta." (page 9) 

5. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

"The artist is the creator of beautiful things." (Preface)
Those are my favourite first sentences ever from books. They are just so intriguing right off the bat and immediately pulls the reader into the story. Those are also some of my favourite books ever too!  :) What are your top 5 first sentences? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I included "Harry Potter" and "Vicious" too! All great choices :)

    ReplyDelete