Monday 19 January 2015

Review: Frostfire by Amanda Hocking

Frostfire by Amanda Hocking 
Book #1 of the Kanin Chronicles

Publishing Date: January 6, 2015
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 336 pages
Young Adult Fantasy

The Premise: The book follows Bryn Aven, who is considered as an outcast among the Kanin. Bryn is the daughter of the Chancellor and on one night, she is shocked to find that a hero who she looked up to, Konstantin, attempted to kill her father and he was able to not finish his task because Bryn stopped him. From that moment, Bryn trained to be a member of the King's Guard as a tracker. Years later, while trying to figure things out romantically with her boss and attempt a normal relationship with her parents, because of her job, she is once again immersed into a world that involves the very man that started it all, Konstantin.

My overall thoughts and review: To begin with, apparently this is a spin series from the series of Trylle (which I own and I haven't gotten around to yet, but soon!). I know that for readers of this Trylle Trilogy, there were appearances or mentions by certain characters within the canon that made readers happy, but unfortunately I went into this not knowing anything. I don't mean unfortunately in a bad way, because I'm actually quite glad that I was given the chance to check this out. It is my first time reading something from Amanda Hocking and she did not disappoint. She immediately immersed the reader into the world and it was quite fast paced. I really enjoyed Bryn as the protagonist and how there were quite a few twists. The plot was not predictable and it was fascinating to learn about this world. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I think for fans of the previous series, this is definitely a nice treat, and for those that aren't familiar with Hocking, this is definitely a nice introduction to her. I can't wait to pick up the other series now, and I will most definitely pick up the next book in this series. I think this is a great book for those who are fans of Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series. 

My rating of the book: ✮ (4/5 stars) 

Now available for purchase at:
Chapters/Indigo

Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by Raincoast Books for consideration/review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment