Thursday 8 January 2015

Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Publishing Date: January 6, 2015
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Pages: 316 pages
Mystery/Thriller Fiction


The Premise: Before I give you the premise from my perspective, I just wanted to give you the snippet posted on Chapters for it because it is right now featured as the Indigo Spotlight book! "Three women, three men, connected through marriage or infidelity. Each is to blame for something. But only one is a killer in this nail-biting, stealthy psychological thriller about human frailty and obsession." When I first got this book, I only knew that it was similar to that of Gone Girl, and I loved that book so much so I was super excited to read a thriller again. I went into it not knowing much besides the fact that it follows three perspectives: Rachel, Meghan and Anna. Rachel takes the same commuter train everyday into work and therefore, she notices the same people and their homes on the other side of the tracks. She has even decided to name some of them. She sees this couple and names the girl Jess and on one day, instead of seeing the couple, she sees someone else. The next day, Rachel turns on the news to see that the woman she has been calling Jess, is actually missing. A mystery begins on what happened to Jess and how exactly all three female perspectives tie into it. I think it is best going into this book not knowing more than that so that it doesn't ruin anything for you. 

My overall thoughts and review: When it was said that it was similar to Gone Girl, I obviously had high expectations for it and Hawkins did not disappoint. This book was so intriguing and I was so impressed by how she managed three different perspectives so clearly and never once jumbling it all together. Each character had a distinctive voice. I also really enjoyed the twists and turns. Having read Gone Girl, I really anticipated the story to go one way, but in the end, I was honestly surprised by the turn of events. I spent a good few hours reading it and I just couldn't put it down. It was definitely a thrill ride. All in all, I enjoyed it a lot and I would definitely recommend it for fans of Gone Girl and to those who are just interested in something that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

My rating of the book:  (4/5 stars) 

Now available for purchase at:

Chapters/Indigo

Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by Random House Canada for consideration/review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment