Saturday 22 February 2014

Movie Review: Pompeii (2013)

So, SceneCreek held a contest to win tickets to see Pompeii in 3D a few days earlier than the release date, and I won! I took my bestfriend Nikki with me and it was our first ever pre-screening so we were pretty excited. The tickets were courtesy of eOne Films! 

The premise of the film is: Milo, the protagonist of the film (Kit Harrington - aka Jon Snow!!) slave and gladiator, set in the Roman city, Pompeii, must fight for his life and for the life of his love interest Cassia (Emily Browning). The antagonist of the story is Senator Corvus (Kiefer Sutherland) who attempts to pursue Cassia, even against her protesting. And of course, during all of this, deal with the approaching destruction of the city from Mount Vesuvius. Other characters that make appearances in the film include Atticus (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), a fellow gladiator with Milo who ends up being an unlikely ally, Ariande (Jessica Lewis), friend and confidant to Cassia and lastly, Aurelia and Severus (Carrie-Anne Moss and Jared Harris), who play Cassia's parents. 


I studied some Roman History in my undergrad and this film did portray the destruction of the city really well, even if they took a moment in history that happened relatively quickly and expanded it into a feature film length. The action scenes were really well done too. I thought all the actors did a great job and it was so interesting to see a film come to life that was actually filmed in Toronto! The only thing I disliked about it, was the kind of insta-love between the characters of Milo and Cassia, because that relationship ended up being more cheesy than meaningful. All in all, I liked the film, but I did not love it and therefore, I gave it a 3.5 stars rating. 

I want to thank SceneCreek and eOne films again for the opportunity to attend this screening, I really appreciate it! 

Also, I keep track of all the movies I watch here in a type of scrapbook format, so I won't always write movie reviews and you can just check there to see what film I saw and what I would rate it out of 5 stars! 

Have you seen Pompeii? If so, what are your thoughts? And if you haven't, are you planning on it? Pompeii hit theatres yesterday and is NOW in theatres, so check your local theatres for listings and times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment