Thursday 30 April 2015

Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
(Book #1 in a series)

Publishing Date: February 2, 2015
Publisher: Harpercollins Publishers
Pages: 400 pages
Young Adult Fantasy

The Premise: In a world where everyone is divided based on their blood, Mare Barrow is thrown into the mix when a deadly game of powers take place. Mare comes from a family of Reds and in this world, those who are Reds are alive to serve the Silvers. Silvers hold a higher ranking because they have special powers. She ends up landing a job in the palace because the Prince and future King, Cal helps her. However, when she is within the palace, she is discovered to have powers which is unusual because she is a Red. The royal family go to great lengths to cover it up and essentially make her a new identity and makes her into a lost Silver princess. She is set to be married to Cal's younger brother, Maven. She gets deeper and deeper into the Silver world, all the while, learning some truths about herself and why she has qualities of both Red and Silver and what role she is to play in this battle between Reds and Silvers.

My overall thoughts and review: When I first read the premise of the book, I thought that the concept of the country is divided based on blood quite interesting. The fact they actually bleed Silver or bleed Red is fascinating. I loved the character of Mare so much. Seeing her adapt and struggle in the Silver world really made my heart hurt. It felt as if she was a friend and I was rooting for her to take hold of her situation and cope. It is obviously that Aveyard is laying down the foundation for the following books to come in this series, but that didn't make the book any less action-packed. There was so much going on and I loved the twists and turns of the book. The book tackles the concept of betrayal in a very interesting way and it is the underlying theme of the book. You start reading almost every chapter expecting a betrayal and then when you think you are okay, it comes in and blows you away. I also loved both of the love interests so much! Cal and Maven. What a mess Mare finds herself in, feelings for both brothers but only betrothed to one. I really liked how this unfolded and although it seems pretty clear that the doors are closed on both, I still hope that can be revisited in the future books. I also loved the reveal at the end and I basically cannot wait for the next book in the series. This book was action-packed, fun and super interesting. It reminded me of Kiera Cass' The Selection and even more, Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series.

My rating of the book:  (5/5 stars) 

Now available for purchase at:

No comments:

Post a Comment