Monday 27 April 2015

Review: I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

Publishing Date: September 16, 2014
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group
Pages: 384 pages
Young Adult Contemporary

The Premise: The story follows Jude and her twin brother who are incredibly close and have an interest in the arts. They are basically connected at the hip, with Jude being the wild and free one and Noah who is isolated and falling in love with the boy next door. Everything is going well until a tragic accident happens that tears them apart. Three years later, they are no longer close. They actually barely speak to one another. The story is told from two time periods. The earlier years are told from Noah's perspective and the later years are told from Jude's perspective and together, both halves make a whole and the story wraps in a way that brings the two together again.

My overall thoughts and review: So you know how you wait for THE one. When I closed this book and finished it, I was so overwhelmed with happiness. I felt as if I've been waiting my whole life for this novel. It is by far, my favorite young adult novel I've ever read. To begin with, Jandy Nelson's writing is just phenomenal. She has a way with words that just amazes me. So many incredible beautiful passages. I've bookmarked a ton. I would share them, but I think I'll leave this quote-free because I want for you to read them and have them blow you away, like they did for me the first time I read them. The way she is able to write from Noah and Jude's perspectives and make them so distinct is wonderful. I loved the idea of the close twins and learning about the tragic accident that tears them apart, literally tore me apart. I loved how she told the story from the earlier years from Noah's perspective and then Jude's for the later years. The relationship between the twins was so beautiful and where the title comes from, of how they would split up parts of the world for each other, just made my heart sing. I find it extremely hard as I've said before to write really long reviews for books I really love. I just don't know what more to say other than I loved it so much. Everything about this story was beautiful, the relationships between Jude and Noah, Jude and Guillermo, Jude and Oscar, Noah and Brian and so many more. I also really loved the artistic side of the book and how many references to art movements were mentioned (I totally geeked out at the mention of the Impressionists and Cezanne)! If you are a fan of contemporary young adult novels, this is one you MUST read. It is my favorite YA novel EVER. So be sure to check it out. It will not disappoint.

My rating of the book: ✮ (5/5 stars) 

Now available for purchase at:

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I'll Give You The Sun is on my TBR list and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete