Saturday 4 October 2014

Venturing into Comics.

So if you have been following my blog and/or twitter for quite some time now, you will know that I have recently ventured into the world of comics in the past few months. I have always read mangas before and the occasional graphic novel, but it was only until recently that I started getting interested in comic single issues and following with a series. I will say, it does take a lot of commitment to stick it out with a series, so you have to make sure that you are really enjoying it because it does add up. Paying for single issues is not that bad but if you are following multiple series like I am, then yes it does add up! 

There are so many comics out there and the question is really.. where do you even start? I think determining your interests right off the bat helps and some questions to consider: Is there a particular tv show or movie that you have an interest in? If so, there could be a comic issue series of it. For example, the ball that got rolling for me was the Serenity: Leaves on the Wind mini series. I had recently at the time finished Firefly/Serenity and it was a great little bit for a browncoat fan like me! Also, being Tom Hiddleston's biggest fan, when the Loki: Agent of Asgard comics launched, I knew I had to get into that. So those were my starting points and don't be fussed if a certain comic you are interested in is already a couple issues in - most comic book stores carry many older issues so you can always ~catch up~. And from there it kind of just spiraled and I got into other Marvel comics. 



Another thing to consider is that some series are mini series, and do not go on for like twenty or thirty issues. The serenity one for example was only 6 issues so that was good and I think if you want that one in particular, it is now available in trade paperback. I was really getting into Black Widow and instead of buying the first six issues, I opted for the trade paperback. It was cheaper! So definitely look into trade copies if you want to catch up on a series that is already well underway. 

I would say, start slowly is my biggest advice. You don't want to invest in something you aren't really enjoying. So what I recommend is downloading the Comixology app which offers a lot of preludes for series for free so you can see what you are getting into! 

I will have a post up later this month about my favorite series that I have been following so far so keep your eyes peeled for that. 

Have you ventured into the world of comics? Let me know in the comments if you are following a particular series, I love recommendations! 


No comments:

Post a Comment