Sunday 26 October 2014

Favorite Marvel Comics

Hi everyone. I hope that you are all doing well on this Sunday evening. I have written about comics a few times now on the blog and I thought I would start sharing with you some of my favorite series. That way, you can catch up on them (since most of them are probably about one trade paperback in and the issues should be easy to locate)! I am starting off with MARVEL first and then my next post will be IMAGE comics. I still haven't ventured into the world of DC just yet, so I hope to do that soon, but that will require some research. Anyways, enough rambling.. onto the comics yes?

Marvel produces a lot of comics yearly, and most of the time - you will see a lot of intersection and mini series. Mini series are comics that are produced only in about a few issues to help provide a side story along with the main series, such as Original Sin: Thor & Loki and the Tenth Realm was in addition to the Thor comics and the Loki: Agent of Asgard comics. I tend to pick these up since they are short anyways and also it allows for intersection between characters in the marvelverse that you would find interesting. I am currently reading one called SIXIS and it combines Avengers and X-men, which is really awesome.

I thought I'd start off mentioning my currently 5 favorite series that I follow from Marvel:

1. Black Widow

The series is up to issue #11 now, with #12 coming out later in November. I absolutely adore this series and it is definitely my favorite EVER. I love following Natasha's story and learning more about her. You also see some crossover with characters like Hawkeye from time to time which is awesome as well. I really enjoy the art in this one specifically, it is just stunning. The story is also quite face-paced and keeps you on the edge of your seat when you are reading, wanting to know more and more. It is also very easy to follow as well and does not get confusing. I actually have a review up for the first volume which includes the first six issues here!


2. Loki: Agent of Asgard

This is actually the series that started my interest in the comic book world. I am a huge fan of Hiddleston's portrayal of the trickster God and when I learned that there was a comic series devoted to the character, I knew I had to jump on board and begin reading it. To begin with, I love the artwork. Loki is drawn so beautifully and I really enjoy that there are many different perspectives to Loki. Most of all, I enjoy that it still embodies the world of Asgard and you see Thor every now and then, but also Loki stands alone as a wonderful character engaging in his own shenanigans that doesn't involve Thor. This series is well underway and I have loved every issue so far!


3. Ms. Marvel

I had first heard of this series from thereadables on youtube. She showed some of this and the artwork looked beautiful. The story follows Kamila Khan, who is a big marvel fan herself and on one fateful evening, she gets superpowers and becomes ~Ms.Marvel~. I just love how relatable Kamila is as a character, from her fangirling about the marvelverse, and just how she interacts with her family and friends. I really enjoy this series so much and some cameos have been from Wolverine and the original Ms. Marvel which I really enjoy. I love that it occupies its own space though and that the cameos aren't a requirement for the series. The pace is really picking up in the series and I can't wait to see where it goes!

4. Magneto

Magneto has always been one of my favorite villains in the marvelverse and it was great news when I heard that there was going to be a series devoted to just him. It is so fascinating to learn more about Magneto's background but also see Magneto as someone completely different than the Magneto portrayed in the movies who is the antagonist to Charles Xavier's protagonist. I love getting the inside thoughts from Magneto and learning more about him. The interesting thing about this series is that it intersects with other x-men but not really, and actually includes other people like the avengers which I have been really enjoying so far!


5. She-Hulk

Another series with a lead female protagonist. I love it. The premise of it sounded fantastic, where she is the cousin of Bruce Banner and she is able to help the Avengers but by day, she is a lawyer who is trying to find her place in the world. I really love following this story because most of it is set where she is the lawyer and the characters are incredibly quirky. One thing though, that I must critique about this series is that, the covers and variant covers are stunning, but once you start reading, the actual art of it isn't really that stunning and digresses heavily. I wish that there was consistency between cover and inside, because it dampers the story a little. Besides that, its great!



Well that's it for me for this post. I am still getting into the comic world, and I hope to include more Marvel series to my collection and when I do, I will be sure to have another post like this one up again! I am still debating including mini series done by Marvel, so keep your eyes peeled for that one!

What are some of your favorite Marvel series to read? Let me know in the comments below! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment