Monday 20 October 2014

Review: Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini 
(Book #1 in the Worldwalker series)

Publishing Date: October 2, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 384 pages
Young Adult Fantasy

The Premise: The story follows Lily Proctor, who lives in the hometown of Salem. She is known primarily as the girl with many allergies which prevents her from doing a lot, including having a social life. She has one best friend Tristan, who she has always loved and on one evening, it seems like everything is falling into place. She and Tristan are somewhat together and she is finally out at a party, like a normal teenager. Something unfortunate happens at the event which leads to Lily wishing that she could disappear and leave her current life. When Lily makes that wish, she is transported to another world, where there is another Lily, regarded as Lillian. Lillian is actually a cruel ruler in the new world and Lily must work with strangers to figure out why she was sent there and why is it that an alternate version of herself is so cruel.

My overall thoughts and review: I did not want to give too much away in the premise, because the evening that kind of spirals the entire narrative is a bit spoilery to begin with. First of all, the setting of Salem and having the foundation of it be the Salem witch trials was incredibly intriguing for me. I really enjoyed the shift from a realistic world narrative to a magical world. It really felt like Angelini brought the reader to a completely different world. Lily was definitely a frustrating character at times, but overall I really enjoyed reading from her perspective. I loved most of the characters such as Tristan, Rowan and Juliet. I am also incredibly happy to hear that this is actually the first book in a series. I think overall it has a lot of promise to be a great series. The story in the first book sets up nicely for future books. What I would have wanted more was Lillian's perspective to understand clearly her choices because I always tend to root for the underdog, and I am reluctant to believe that ~evil~ people in books are completely evil. I'm hoping that Angelini will explore that in future books. Certain things she created in the book such as the willstones, being claimed by witches, the pyres, just the world overall was incredibly fascinating and I really enjoyed it. If you are a fan of young adult fantasy, I think this is definitely the book for you. It reminded me a lot of The Young Elites by Marie Lu.

My Rating of the Book:  (4/5 stars)

Now Available for Purchase at:
Chapters/Indigo - Amazon.ca - Book Depository

Disclaimer: A digital galley of this book was sent to me by Raincoast Books Canada for consideration/review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment