Wednesday 18 June 2014

Naked Cover Books | Top 5 Wednesday

This week's theme is naked book covers, so hardbacks without dust jackets. I included a wide range of my favorite ones on my shelf, that are significant to me also on a sentimental level, so I hope you will all enjoy this post! Onto the list shall we?

1. William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher 
I now own all three books in the trilogy and without the dust jackets, the books are revealed to be a lovely brown that has an ~old book feel~ with it. It looks and feels like an old library book. I absolutely am a huge fan of Quirk Books in terms of how they decided to produce this book aesthetically, it is beautiful! And it goes along really nicely with the overall series of the books because even though Star Wars has been around for quite some time, the book represents a spin on it, with a tinge of Shakespeare.

2. Looking for Alaska by John Green
So this edition of Looking for Alaska is not my original one. I got this signed copy in a charity event called Project for Awesome and I gave my very loved copy to one of my best friends Nikki (who also wrote her top 5 wednesday post which you should go read here) I know that this looks quite simple, but I love this so much without the dust jacket because it actually has his signature embossed on the cover (and also an actually signature inside). This is by far my favorite book by John Green, so it holds a special place in my heart along with looking SO beautiful! :')

 3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
I have yet to read this, but I own both this and Hollow City now and the graphic novel and they are all stunning without the dust jackets. Don't get me wrong, the dust jackets are beautiful as well, but the hardback, wow! The color, the detailing, the font, design.. I love it all! 

4. The Program by Suzanne Young
This is the first book in the series and I love this hardback so much because the dust jacket shows the two characters and their back and when you remove the dust jackets, you get to see their faces which I think is such a cool concept! 

 5. ANY OF THE PENGUIN DROP CAPS
But for today I decided to choose A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
I own all of the currently released Penguin Drop Caps and I have to say they are definitely one of my most prized possessions on my shelves. They make a rainbow and they are simply stunning. The detail that goes into each book is just amazing. I love the quality of them and how even though there is the same ~outline~ with the spine design and the front showcasing the letter of the author, each has a unique twist on it! 

That is it for today's post. Let me know in the comments what your top 5 favorite naked book covers are and if you wrote a post, please link me to it! I would love to read it! 

1 comment:

  1. I love that version of "Looking for Alaska" as well, it's so cool that his signature is embossed on the cover! Great choices, I love that we both included Quirk Books novels haha

    ReplyDelete