Wednesday 11 June 2014

Books You Struggled to Finish | Top 5 Wednesday

This week's theme is so fascinating. I am going to put a descriptive reason of why I struggled to finish all the ones I am going to mention.. and I did finish them all! 

1. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
I had read the Island of Doctor Moreau by him and I really enjoyed that so I went into this with great expectations. Unfortunately, it was quite dull and slow, so I kept picking it up and putting it down again. In the end, I had to force myself to finish off the rest of it and even then, I did not come to enjoy it. The concept is really fascinating but the way it was executed was simply not my cup of tea. 

2. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Okay before I start, I just want to say I am a huge Chuck Palahniuk fan and I own most of his books, so with a heavy heart I am saying this. I saw the movie first and I loved it. It is by far one of my favorite films EVER. So I thought you know, the book would be just as awesome and even better. Unfortunately no. This is the one case EVER (you will ever hear from me) that the movie was better. The book was really blah and did not wow me like the film did and I just simply grew tired of the novel. I was really disappointed with this so it took me forever to finish it. Please don't let me saying this deter you from Palahniuk books because they are so amazing! Especially Choke. If you read one book by him or you were considering this one.. go read Choke instead. 

3. The Death Cure by James Dashner
So this is the final book in the Maze Runner trilogy. I loved the first book so much. It was so intriguing and so fascinating and then came the second book which I thought was okay, but by the end and when this one came around, I was quite sick of it all. I did not enjoy it anymore, I didn't really care for the characters as much anymore either. It just felt really blah towards the end and unfortunately, I did not enjoy this final book at all. I was hoping for more from it. 

4. Rumors by Anna Godbersen
So I have owned this series for quite some time now and I only got around to reading it last summer. I read the first one and enjoyed it and decided to continue on with the next one. For some reason, I just could not get into it and it took me quite some time to finally finish it. In the end, I just didn't really enjoy it and I haven't picked up the other two books in the series since then. I want to finish it at some point because I hate leaving series unfinished, but I just can't see myself breezing through the final books. It was something about this one where the narrative just went in a direction I just did not enjoy. 

5. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
This is the one book from this entire list, where the reason I struggled to finish it was not that I disliked it, but because it honestly scared me. The concept of it.. and how she is immediately murdered just seriously terrified the hell out of me. In the end I really enjoyed it.. but I just kept putting it down because I was scared and did not really enjoy reading it (especially before bedtime!)

What top five books did you struggle to finish? Let me know in the comments below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment