Monday 23 February 2015

Review: Fairest - The Lunar Chronicles: Levana's Story by Marissa Meyer

Fairest - The Lunar Chronicles: Levana's Story by Marissa Meyer
(#0.5 in The Lunar Chronicles)

Publishing Date: January 27, 2015
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 272 pages
Young Adult

The Premise: Fans of the Lunar Chronicles will know Queen Levana as the antagonist of the series who has been fighting Cinder, Scarlet and Cress at every turn. Before she was Queen though, she was simply Levana. This short story is told from the perspective of Levana and offers up more background to her story and who she really is without the glamour.

My overall thoughts and review: Being a huge fan of the Lunar Chronicles series, I was incredibly excited when I first heard about this becoming a book. I am not a fan of Levana at all in the series, but one thing that kind of bugged me was, I did not really understand her reasons, so I was curious to learn more. I am always intrigued to see if an author can make you kind of side with "both" sides of the story (i.e. Philippa Gregory's The White Queen and The Red Queen does this nicely). In the beginning, I really empathized with Levana so much and her upbringing reminded me of other narratives. I enjoyed learning about her family and her "first-love" so to speak. What I did not anticipate was how "twisted" she was to become. I was really rooting for her, so in the end, when I really did not "feel" for her at all, I did not feel conflicted that Meyer did not show that she was good underneath it all, I was quite happy because Meyer reaffirmed why Levana is such a strong villain for me. All in all, this was a nice companion piece to the Lunar Chronicles. I would definitely say to read this in order of publication date because there are spoilers in the text for somethings that are mentioned in Cress. Finishing this has also made me want the final book even more. This was a nice addition (beautiful artwork on the front and back of the book) - and I would definitely say it is a must read for those who are reading the series! 

My rating of the book: ✮ (4/5 stars) 

Now available for purchase at:
Chapters/Indigo

No comments:

Post a Comment