Tuesday 24 February 2015

Review: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Crazy Rich Asians - A Novel by Kevin Kwan

Publishing Date: May 20, 2014 (Trade Paperback)
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Pages: 544 Pages
Family Life Fiction (Asian American)

The Premise: Rachel Chu is living a wonderful life as an economics professor with her boyfriend Nicholas Young, who is also a professor. They have regular problems like trying to get tenure and Nick is the first guy she has ever envisioned herself marrying. Nick invites her to Singapore for the summer to meet his family and what Rachel does not expect is that Nick comes from a whole different world, a very "rich" world (literally). The book follows Rachel and Nick as they deal with the aftermath of some of Nick's mother's friends meddling and the book also follows Nick's cousins and other family members.

My overall thoughts and review: As always, it is always hard for me to write a premise for a novel w/o spoiling it, so I apologize now if from reading my premise, it does not sound all that intriguing. This book was seriously a ton of fun. I remember passing by it on the tables at chapters a while back, but it never intrigued me. I always thought it was a non-fiction piece with tips and things. I did not expect such a hilarious and fun book. My friend Lynne raved about it, so I knew I had to pick it up instantly. This book starts off with some history and context for Nick's family and I just loved the first part so much. It really sets the tone for the entire book. It was a lot of fun going from different perspectives, such as Rachel, Nick, Nick's mom Eleanor and his cousin Astrid. I particularly enjoyed reading about Astrid! She is my favourite character. All in all, this was a wonderful book. I would not say it was predictable, well maybe with Rachel and Nick, but in the end, there were a lot of twists and turns, which I would say was quite brave of the author to tackle. All in all, it was a really fun book and I recommend it for fans of "Shopaholic" because the tone. Also, my final point: the book has footnotes!! I just loved this extra bit so much. It helped me connect with the world so much and by the end of it, has only made me want to visit Singapore even more! There is also a sequel coming out later this year, and it can be a stand alone if you want it to be, but it will follow Nick and Rachel again. I am so excited for it!

My rating of the book: ✮ (5/5 stars) 

Now available for purchase at: 
Chapters/Indigo

And for those who have read it and LOVED it, you can now PRE-ORDER the second book titled "China Rich Girlfriend" -> here

No comments:

Post a Comment