Thursday 17 July 2014

Review: Black Widow Volume 1: The Finely Woven Thread by Nathan Edmonson & Phil Noto

The Premise: This graphic novel is Volume 1 which features Issues #001-#006. It is the trade paperback. If you are familiar with the Marvel-verse, then you already know who Black Widow is. The story follows Natasha Romanov who is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., an Avenger and a previous KGB-Assassin as she navigates her duties while juggling other issues, such as trying to atone for her previous actions and working with her friend, confidant and lawyer, Isaiah. The volume shows Black Widow dealing with six different cases/agents and the trouble (of course) that comes with them all.

My overall thoughts and review: I am not one hundred percent well-versed in all things Marvel comics related, but I am slowly getting into it. I loved the character of Black Widow from all the Marvel movies and I have read that this series is a good introduction to her character. I loved learning more about Natasha Romanov and from a different perspective from the ones shown in the movies. Natasha is a very flawed character, but it is so fascinating to read how and why she is that way. I loved specifically the artwork and just how minimalistic it looked, but in a good way. The stories were super intriguing and always kept me guessing. It plays with the readers expectations of what is to come. I especially love BW's interactions with Isaiah and the cat! xD I can't wait to continue on with this series, it is by far my favorite comic series that I have started this year. If you want to slowly introduce yourself into the marvel-verse through comics, I highly recommend reading this. The trade paperback of this was just released recently, so it is a lot easier to track down than the individual issues. :) I will most likely be doing individual reviews for each issues henceforth on my goodreads and when the next six are out, I will have another full review!

Rating of the graphic novel: 5/5 stars. SO GOOD. 

Let me know if you have read this in the comments below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment