Thursday 13 December 2018

Christmas Gift Guide | Non-Fiction Edition (2018)


Hi everyone! I'm back again with some Christmas Gift Guide recommendations. A lot of non-fiction, biography picks often come out at this time of year, so I have for you a non-fiction edition specifically. Here are some of the books I've read recently and what I thought of them!

The Greatest Love Story Ever Told by Megan Mullally and Nick Offerman (✮✮✮✮½ - 4.5/5 stars)
Publishing Date: October 2, 2018
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Pages: 288

My Review: I've been a fan of both Megan and Nick for a while now. I'm not a massive Will&Grace or Parks&Rec fan, but I just really enjoyed their work in movies. I honestly didn't even know they were married until I saw this book come out, and to learn they've been together for 18 years is pretty amazing. I opted for the audiobook version (secret bonus chapter) and it really felt like they were having a conversation the entire time. There were bits of childhood, so some history for them both, but mostly, it was about their relationship and some little essays/lessons sprinkled throughout. I also LOVE the photos included in the book because they dressed up and posed for a bunch of stuff. They are both very funny and down-to-earth individuals, and learning about how they make it work after all this time is not only encouraging, it's beautiful. You go from laughing a ton and to also swooning, because Nick is so incredibly sweet with Megan. Even if you are not familiar with their work, hearing them talk candidly about relationships and the business is really fascinating. Definitely recommend!!

Available for Purchase:
Indigo/Chapters - Kobo - Amazon - AudibleKindle - Book Depository

Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, & Baking Biscuits by Reese Witherspoon (✮✮✮✮½ - 4.5/5 stars)
Publishing Date: September 18, 2018
Publisher: Touchstone
Pages: 304

My Review: I also opted for the audiobook of this and if you are wondering about the cookbook aspect, when you purchase something like this on audible, they also include a PDF with all the photos and recipes. I much prefer hearing a book from the person who wrote it, so it was nice to hear Reese narrate it. The recipes included are so sweet too because they are linked to her roots. I especially loved learning about her grandmother Dorothea and from there we got the recipes for Sun Tea and Tea Punch. There's a section called Southern Dinner Party, and I definitely want to get together with my best friend and cook some of the recipes. It's such a beautiful looking book, with easy to follow recipes, and stories about how those recipes came about. You learn snippets of Reese along the way and with cute anecdotal bits too, like her adorable Ode to Quilts. There's also music playlists mixed in, and she even has as section recommending books by Southern authors! She also has a book club menu, which I'm totally going to do at some point with either of my two bookclubs.  I've been a fan of Reese for a while, so I'm glad to add this to my collection (I've already ordered a physical copy because it's just too beautiful!). I think fans of Reese who want lovely recipes with a bit of Southern charm will definitely enjoy this!

Available for Purchase:
Indigo/Chapters - Kobo - Amazon - AudibleKindle - Book Depository

Becoming by Michelle Obama (✮✮✮✮✮ - 5/5 stars)
Publishing Date: November 13, 2018
Publisher: Crown
Pages: 448

My Review: I definitely think this is THE book of the holiday season. I've been in at work a few times and this book literally flies off the shelves. I opted for the audiobook version of this because I just really miss hearing her speeches, and I'm so glad I picked this version. Michelle has always been such an inspiring and genuine individual and I was over the moon to learn that she was going to come out with a book. This book is more than just her time as First Lady, but it's about her childhood, her relationship with Barack, and how things are now. I particularly enjoy her talking about her education. I mean, it's Michelle Obama! You really don't need to say more than that. This book is everything you'd expect from her: classy, intelligent, humble, and funny, but it's also all of that and much, much, more. It's just so incredibly inspiring and heartwarming. I'm definitely getting this book for a few people in my life for Christmas because it's just so lovely. And I'm going to try my hardest to get tickets to see her talk about it next May in Toronto! *fingers crossed*

Available for Purchase:
Indigo/Chapters - Kobo - Amazon - AudibleKindle - Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment