Wednesday 4 September 2019

Review: Butterfly in Frost by Sylvia Day

Butterfly in Frost by Sylvia Day

Publishing Date: August 27, 2019
Publisher: Amazon Publishing - Montlake Romance
Pages: 204
Contemporary Romance

The Premise from the Publisher: "Once, I would never have imagined myself here. But I’m settled now. In a place I love, in a home I renovated, spending time with new friends I adore, and working a job that fulfills me. I am reconciling the past and laying the groundwork for the future. Then Garrett Frost moves in next door. He’s obstinate and too bold, a raging force of nature that disrupts the careful order of my life. I recognize the ghosts that haunt him, the torment driving him. Garrett would be risky in any form, but wounded, he’s far more dangerous. I fear I’m too fragile for the storm raging inside him, too delicate to withstand the pain that buffets him. But he’s too determined…and too tempting. And sometimes hope soars above even the iciest desolation" (Montlake Romance).

My overall thoughts and review: So I have to admit something... I haven't read a book by Sylvia Day before this one. I know, shocker! I remember her Crossfire series becoming really popular after the hype of 50 shades died down, but for some reason, I just didn't get around to them. As I primarily read romance and contemporary now, I will definitely make it a purpose to go back and read them. This is Day's return after a few years since her last release in 2016. This is a short novella that follows a doctor who is trying to get settled in a new place, but she ends up falling for her next door neighbor. I will say that right off the bat, I was surprised by how fast things moved, but then again, I had to remind myself that it was a shorter story/novella. Teagan and Garrett's chemistry was off the charts, and I loved seeing them just get to know one another. In addition to that, I liked that Day even gave us fully fleshed out secondary characters such as Roxy and her husband. I know that this takes place in the Crossfire world, and I will read it again once I've tackled that series, just so I can make all the connections needed.  There's a lot wrapped up in here and it feels more than simply a short story that has some steam in it. You learn more about both characters and I just loved delving deeper into their back stories. The twist is quite a twist, as I definitely had to flip back to double check that I got it all. If you are looking for a steamy short read, I would definitely recommend this one! I think this would make a nice stocking stuffer for the romance reader in your life too as the holiday season approaches.

My rating of the book: ✮✮✮✮ (4/5 stars)

Available for purchase at:
Indigo, Amazon, Kindle, and Book Depository
Disclaimer: An advanced reader's copy of the book was provided by Thomas Allen & Sons. for participation in the book tour. All opinions of the book are my own. 

1 comment:

  1. I read one of hers but I didn't continue because it sounds exactly like 50 Shades. I haven't picked up anything by hers since.

    ReplyDelete