Tuesday 22 May 2018

Batch Reviews #5

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty (✮✮✮✮ - 4/5 stars)
Publishing Date: March 27, 2018
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Pages: 560

My Review: I was stuck in an airport in Pittsburgh last month and I had finished reading the book I bought with me, so this was definitely an impulse purchase. I had previously read Truly, Madly, Guilty by Moriarty, but I didn't love it. I thought it was just OK, but the premise of this was definitely more up my alley. It's a twisty love story that involves an ex that is a stalker. I really liked that the book switched perspectives between the hypnotist and the stalker, and how it tackles the ending of relationships. There is a lot of books on falling in love, and staying in love, but what happens when we simply fall out of love? We got to see how the situation affected Ellen, Patrick's ex, but also Patrick, as the one being stalked. Overall, I really enjoyed this and upon finishing this, I put holds on the rest of Moriarty's books at my local library ;)

Available for purchase:
Chapters/Indigo, Kobo, Amazon, and Book Depository


The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante (✮✮✮ - 3/5 stars)
Publishing Date: September 11, 2005
Publisher: Europa Editions
Pages: 192

My Review: So my oldest best friend and I decided to start a book club. I've wanted to be a part of a book club for so long and I love that I get to discuss books monthly with some of my closest friends. This was the first book of our book club. I've read My Brilliant Friend by Ferrante and I quite enjoyed it, but I didn't continue on with the series, which I need to do at some point. This book was something else. Similar to Moriarty's book, it tackles the ending of relationships. Mario decides one day to leave Olga. Olga is left alone with their dog and two children and she falls into deep despair. You see how her calm demeanor begins to change as the days past. I really empathized with her in the beginning, but then towards the end, the characters became very unlikable. I do like Ferrante's writing though and her way of describing things through beautiful metaphors. It was also quite interesting to see the split opinions at book club on this book. It was definitely some loved it, and some hated it.

Available for purchase:
Chapters/Indigo, Kobo, Amazon, and Book Depository


I've Got This Round: More Tales of Debauchery by Mamrie Hart (✮✮✮✮ - 4/5 stars)
Publishing Date: February 6, 2018
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Pages: 304

My Review: I used to be absolutely youtube obsessed, but now I mainly watch book videos or gaming videos. But there are some youtubers, I have loved from the start, and will always love and support. One of those people is Mamrie Hart. I fell in love with her content when she first made the YDAD: Harry Potter drink. She is hilarious, spunky, down-to-earth, and honest. I always look forward to her videos and when I heard she was coming out with another book, I knew I had to have it. This book follows Mamrie as she tells various stories about how she comes to terms with ending a long term relationship, the various adventures with dating, and her most favorite moments with her friends. There are a lot of lovely hidden messages in the story, but ultimately, what I walked away with was the importance of learning to love yourself, and becoming comfortable with yourself. I opted for the audiobook version and I'm so glad I did! I loved this book and I can't wait for Mamrie to write another one ;)

Available for purchase:
AudibleChapters/Indigo, Kobo, Amazon, and Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment