Tuesday 12 May 2015

Review: Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll

Luckiest Girl Alive - A Novel by Jessica Knoll

Publishing Date: May 12, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 352 pages
Contemporary/Suspense

The Premise: The tag line of this book is: "Her perfect life is a perfect lie." When I was first pitched this book, I have to say I was instantly intrigued by the blurb by Gillian Flynn. I loved the Gone Girl book so much so hearing about another book that is similar in a sense that it is a contemporary suspense novel, I was definitely intrigued. The story follows Ani FaNelli, who has the perfect life. She has a wonderful job at a magazine company, she is engaged to her handsome fiance and she is on her way to a wonderful future. However, Ani has a very dark past and she has the opportunity to set the record straight about the past and give her side of the events. However, this revelation and her coming forward might just bring down the perfect world that she has tried so hard to create.

My overall thoughts and review: WOW. Let me just begin by saying that. I feel like there are two sides of this book, just like there are two sides of Ani. There is the perfect Ani that she is now, and then there is the fourteen year old Ani, or in this case, TifAni. The story moves from present day to the past and it begins to unravel the true events of what happened to Ani, that led to the drastic change in her life and well, her name change as well. It was incredibly chilling from the beginning of the book reading from her perspective and realizing how "ice cold" she was underneath the pretty image that was presented. As the truth unravelled, I just couldn't believe the revelations. I was constantly blown away and every time I thought I figured out where the story was going Knoll definitely surprised me. To avoid spoilers, Knoll tackles some very taboo topics all at once and she does it in a way that kind of shows all sides of the story. A blurb about the book stated that the book primarily deals with: reinvention, retribution and redemption and that is definitely true - in that order too! Ani's journey is just so twisted and raw and seeing how it all unfolds and seeing WHY she is the way she is and how she can be so cold/distant and shut off, really makes you feel for her even in moments when she really scares you. I think that Knoll painted for the reader an incredibly wonderful chilling and suspenseful read. It definitely reminded me Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Not everything is as it seems is basically the red thread throughout the novel. If you are into suspense thrillers and mysteries, this is definitely one to check out!

My rating of the book:  (4/5 stars) 

Now available for purchase at:

Disclaimer: I received an Advanced Readers Copy of this book from Simon & Schuster Canada for consideration/review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment