Saturday 3 November 2018

PRHC Kids Fall-I-Day Preview | November 1, 2018


A few days ago was the annual PRHC Fall-I-Day Kids and Teen Preview for booksellers and bloggers. I always love attending events like this because it definitely helps me as a bookseller when they give you great pitches on what to sell for the holiday season, and also to share with you all as a blogger. They mentioned some highlights that were already out and also some upcoming books for 2019 to look forward to. We also had the lovely Susin Nielsen come talk to us about her two new upcoming books Princess Puffybottom ...and Darryl & No Fixed Address! She is definitely one of my favorite authors and I've had the pleasure of meeting her a few times now, so it's always so much fun to hear her talk and share her stories. I can't wait to check out her two new books!

Below are some books that I'm adding to my TBR. Some are already out in the world, some I plan on giving as gifts (so you have to read them first before you gift them ;)), and some I'm super excited for them to release early next year!

Corduroy Takes a Bow by Viola Davis - I absolutely adore Viola Davis as a human being, so if she's writing a kids book, I'm buying it and adding it to my life. 

Princess Puffybottom ...and Darryl by Susin Nielsen and Olivia Chin Mueller (February 5/19) - I'm mostly a dog person, but this story sounds super adorable. I can't wait to read this and see all the illustrations. 

Narwhal's Otter Friend by Ben Clanton (February 5/19) - I love the Narwhal and Jelly books so much. They are hilarious and super cute. Can't wait to meet this new character! ;) 


The Last Kids on Earth by Max Brallier and Douglas Holgate - the folks at PRHC were talking about this series and how the story is really good and the art is amazing. I've always loved graphic novels but I want to read more young readers graphic novels. This apocalyptic setting sounds great! 

Hilda and the Troll by Luke Pearson - This has been adapted into a netflix show. I watched an episode when I got home from the preview and I really enjoyed it. I'm totally here for a magical girl going on adventures. 

The Strange and Deadly Portraits of Bryony Gray by E. Latimer - If you know me, you'll know that The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is my ALL-TIME-FAVORITE book. I own an unhealthy and ridiculous amount of copies of that book. I just love it so much. So when they told me this was a young reader's version inspired by it? I'M SO THERE. 


Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster by Jonathan Auxier - story about an girl and her monster in a Victorian setting? ALL. THE. YES. I love Auxier's writing and this book was recently named as a winner for the 2018 Governor General's award in young people's literature! *slow clap* 

Tales from the Inner City by Shaun Tan (November 6/18) - A combination of poetry, short stories, and beautiful artwork. I can't wait to see this blend of writing and surrealist art! 

No Fixed Address by Susin Nielsen - this story sounds like it's going to be super sweet and also heartbreaking at the same time. It follows Felix and his mother, Astrid, who after losing their apartment in Vancouver must live in a camper van and how they come to terms with that massive change in their life. I love Nielsen's writing so I'm sure this one will be no different. 


The Beauty of the Moment by Tanaz Bhathena (February 26/19) - I read A Girl Like That earlier this year and it is one of my favorite books from 2019. I absolutely loved it and when I heard Bhathena was coming out with a new book, I actually jumped for joy! The story follows Susan who is an artist, and she meets a friend at a fundraiser Syrian Refugees. The premise promises romance, family, and finding yourself. I can't wait to dig in to my copy and start reading it soon! 

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner (February 26/19) - Jeff Zentner is definitely one of my all time favorite YA authors. The Serpent King will always have a special place in my heart forever. The folks at PRHC promise that this upcoming release by Zentner will have more laughs than tears for the reader. I love YAs that focus on senior year! Can't wait for this! 

Skyward by Brandon Sanderson (November 6/18) - ok, so before you come for me, please know that I have every intention to, but I just haven't. *whispers* I haven't read a Brandon Sanderson book before. *immediately runs and hides* - I will say, I'm also a bit intimidated by some of his series and just the pure length of them. I will however check this one out, because I love starting series as they come out rather than catching up afterwards. This story follows a girl who dreams of being a pilot. Sign me up!! 

Well that's it! Those are the books I've added to my TBR, started pre-ordering, and also begging my local library to stock. What books sounds like your cup of tea? Let me know in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment