Sunday 2 November 2014

Veronica Roth & Tahereh Mafi Signing | October 15, 2014

When I heard that Veronica Roth and Tahereh Mafi were doing a signing together, I KNEW I had to be there no matter what. I love the Divergent series so much, and the Shatter Me series holds a special place in my heart! I mean.. Warner gets his own tag on my blog ;) It was on October 15, 2014 at Chapters Queensway. I arrived at opening that morning to buy my book to make sure I got a wristband for the event. I brought other books from home to be signed as well, but the store policy was only one signature per author and whatever was bought at the store unfortunately. :( 

When the time came for the signing, Veronica and Tahereh spoke a little about their writing process and kind of interviewed each other which was really awesome. Tahereh was very clear to admit that she was more character centric and at times, that meant less emphasis on world building, which of course is a major critique of the Shatter Me series (didn't bother me though.. give me all the Warner). Both authors spoke at length about how in writing the series, book two was the hardest for them because they were technically the "bridge" books because they had to resolve some of the problems, but also leave enough problems in the final book to be solved as well. What I loved most was how Tahereh described the book and how the entire book is a visual representation of the character Juliette, coming apart basically. There was a lot of struggle with her as a character because Juliette was consistently crippled by the firm belief that she is a monster, so getting into that mindset, the craziness of it all was a struggle, but a rewarding one for Tahereh. 


There were some Q&A questions which Ransom asked (so cute).. at one point when they were talking, he was like "uhm guys.. you have to answer some questions for them and sign the books" haha! 



When it came time to finally meet them, they were both so incredibly sweet and lovely. Tahereh even recognized me from Ransom's signing which was awesome! Since I only was able to get one signature each, I opted for the final books for both series to be signed! 


Overall, I had a fantastic night. It was a long day, but so worth it to meet some of my favorite authors! :D 

1 comment:

  1. So exciting! I remember when I met Veronica in 2012. She's such a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete