Tuesday 20 August 2019

Review: Say You Still Love Me by K.A. Tucker

Say You Still Love Me by K.A. Tucker 

Publishing Date: August 6, 2019
Publisher: Atria Books
Pages: 384
Contemporary Romance

The Premise from the Publisher: "Life is a mixed bag for Piper Calloway. On the one hand, she’s a twenty-nine-year-old VP at her dad’s multibillion-dollar real estate development firm, and living the high single life with her two best friends in a swanky downtown penthouse. On the other hand, she’s considered a pair of sexy legs in a male-dominated world and constantly has to prove her worth. Plus she’s stuck seeing her narcissistic ex-fiancé—a fellow VP—on the other side of her glass office wall every day. Things get exponentially more complicated for Piper when she runs into Kyle Miller—the handsome new security guard at Calloway Group, and coincidentally the first love of her life. The guy she hasn’t seen or heard from since they were summer camp counselors together. The guy from the wrong side of the tracks. The guy who apparently doesn’t even remember her name. Piper may be a high-powered businesswoman now, but she soon realizes that her schoolgirl crush is still alive and strong, and crippling her concentration. What’s more, despite Kyle’s distant attitude, she’s convinced their reunion isn’t at all coincidental, and that his feelings for her still run deep. And she’s determined to make him admit to them, no matter the consequences" (Atria Books).

My Review: This was my first time reading something by K.A. Tucker and she is one of those authors that I know a lot of people in my life love reading. I decided to start with her newest release. This story follows Piper who is about to take over her father's company while dealing with a misogynistic co-worker who undermines her, her ex-fiance, who happens to still work at the company with her, and now the boy from camp who was her first love, Kyle. Piper is determined to reconnect with Kyle because when things broke off between them, he simply vanished and she never got the closure she needed. It's also clear that they are from different worlds as she's about to head a multi-billion dollar firm and he is the security guard of the building. Kyle is definitely reluctant to reconnect at first, and I totally understood his anxieties around it all. They worked back then but they had to see if they could work now. I'm a big fan of second chance romances, and while I'm glad that Tucker offered the reader a Now/Then perspective in terms of Piper and Kyle's relationship... at times it felt too much? There was a lot to juggle in this book in terms of Piper dealing with that aggressive undermining co-worker, Piper being tied up in her parents' drama as they are divorced, but also some leftover secrets from that summer at camp thirteen years ago... all the while the main love story at the core. Despite that, this book demonstrated not only the main core love story, but strong friendships and family connections. You got to see how Piper became friends with some camp people, but also how her family dynamics all work. It was great to see how Piper and Kyle fell in love, and seeing them rekindle that relationship again thirteen years later. The passion was still there, and although they physically changed and grew up, at the core, they were still Piper and Kyle. I really loved Piper as a character and it's easy to see why Kyle fell for her. She is so strong and resilient, but also despite her upbringing and her money, she is incredibly down-to-earth and caring about her loved ones. All in all, I enjoyed this read. It did feel long for me in some aspects, but I understand why Tucker gave all the background information. She knows how to world-build in a novel, and that's great to see in a romance book. Like I mentioned earlier, this was my first Tucker novel, and I look forward to going back and checking out her backlist. I definitely think fans of Christina Lauren would enjoy her writing!

My rating of the book: ✮✮✮½ - 3.5/5 stars

Available for purchase:
Indigo/Chapters - Kobo - Amazon - Kindle - Book Depository
Disclaimer: I received an advanced e-reader's copy from Simon & Schuster Canada in exchange for consideration/review. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I'm into second chance romance, so I want to read this one. I'm also a fan of this author. Glad you finally got to read one of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this read! I'll definitely check out her other books. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete