Friday 20 July 2018

Review: Wicked and the Wallflower by Sarah MacLean

Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards Book 1) by Sarah MacLean 

Publishing Date: June 19, 2018
Publisher: Avon Books / HarperCollins
Pages: 416
Historical Romance

The Premise from the Publisher: "When Wicked Comes Calling . . . When a mysterious stranger finds his way into her bedchamber and offers his help in landing a duke, Lady Felicity Faircloth agrees—on one condition. She’s seen enough of the world to believe in passion, and won’t accept a marriage without it. The Wallflower Makes a Dangerous Bargain . . . Bastard son of a duke and king of London’s dark streets, Devil has spent a lifetime wielding power and seizing opportunity, and the spinster wallflower is everything he needs to exact a revenge years in the making. All he must do is turn the plain little mouse into an irresistible temptress, set his trap, and destroy his enemy. For the Promise of Passion . . .But there’s nothing plain about Felicity Faircloth, who quickly decides she’d rather have Devil than another. Soon, Devil’s carefully laid plans are in chaos and he must choose between everything he's ever wanted . . . and the only thing he's ever desired" (Avon).

My overall thoughts and review: So I have to admit something. This book was my first ever historical romance. :O I legit don't know why I waited so long to read historical romance. I think it's honestly feeling overwhelmed by where to start and who to read. I'm so glad that I decided to start with this one by Sarah MacLean, because 1) it's the start of a new series and 2) my good friend, Eden, recommended this and loved it. Since finishing this, I've been absolutely tearing through historical romance reads and I'm hooked! To begin with, I absolutely loved the premise of the book and how it takes place in a much darker part of London, and before Covent Garden is what it is today. We follow Felicity, who is witty, quick, strong, and brave. She agrees to make a bargain with the Devil, who promises to help her land the guy she wants, but she finds herself falling for him the process. They have an undeniable attraction and I just loved what they brought out in each other. They both saw more in each other and I loved that they were able to show the other why they loved one another.  Other things besides a beautiful and sexy relationship between the two leads that I really enjoyed about the story, was the secondary characters. I immediately liked Grace and Whit, and I just loved learning about their family and what led them to where they are today. I'm falling in love with historical romance reads because yes, it does take the reader to another time and place in history, but it deals with a lot of things that are relate-able to contemporary times. Felicity was once part of a popular friend group, and then she was an outcast. It looks at how others shape our identity, and what happens when that changes. I will say that MacLean also writes dialogue between characters really well. I feel immediately immersed into the conversation and I just love some of her quick-witted lines. All in all, I loved this book. I legit hugged it when I finished it. I've already went back to read some her backlist, but I totally see myself rereading this for years to come. Already counting down the days until the next book in the series! ;)

My rating of the book: ✮✮✮✮✮ (5/5 stars)

Available for purchase at:
Indigo, Kobo, Amazon, Kindle, and Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment